- Two Oceans Abalone frozen whole in shell or live abalone
- 1 medium abalone
- Soy sauce
- Fresh chilli
- Defrost frozen whole abalone in refrigerator overnight, or place live abalone in ice slurry for 15 minutes. Remove abalone meat from shell. Remove stomach from shell. Wash abalone shell in hot water ready to use as a serving dish. Gently wipe off the sticky residue from the meat with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Place the abalone (foot down) on a soft cloth or paper towel to prevent sliding when slicing. Slice meat horizontally into thin, 2mm slices.
- Pour 1 litre of water into pot and place on heat to boil.
- Place 4-6 slices of abalone into bamboo basket or small stainless steel colander, one at a time.
- Remove after 2 -3 seconds when slice begins to curl.
- Place blanched slices into abalone shell, garnish with sliced chilli and coriander.
CHILLI SOY SAUCE
- Slice chilli and add to soy sauce in a dipping bowl.
- Serve immediately whilst warm with dipping sauce.
Place blanched abalone slices on ice or in fridge until cold then serve in a salad.