- Two Oceans Wild Roei Abalone
- Best prepared with at least 10 pcs of Roei abalone meat
- Salt (1 abalone = 1 handful of salt)
- 750 ml Sake
- 750 ml Water
- 150 ml light soy sauce
- Wash abalone with salt. 1 abalone = 1 handful of salt. Scrub the meat side, around and under the meat, then rinse until salt is all gone.
- Prepare to Cook at least 10 abalone together to maximise the flavour of the stock.
- Place abalone in a wide, deep pot in a single layer, meat side up.
- Pour 750ml of sake, 750ml water, 150 ml light soy sauce and mix together until abalone is just covered. Do not drown the meat.
- Turn up to high heat to boil, skim top of water once boiling to remove excess deposits from the abalone. Turn heat down to simmer, place lid on top.
- Cook for 2 hours. During this time, check that the heat is maintained at a very low simmer and not too high.
- After 2 hours, remove the lid and flip each abalone so that the shell side is up.
- Continue simmering on very low for another hour, then turn off heat.
- Leave at room temperature while covered for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, remove abalone from liquid and place inside the refrigerator for an hour. Reserve the liquid.
- Shuck the meat and liver from the shell. Keep all elements separately.
Your Roei Abalone is now ready for cooking.